Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Quit My Job Today.

So...I submitted my resignation today. I'm officially a 'stay-at-home-wife', which is a title that I never thought I'd have. Am I excited about my decision? Yes and no. It's bittersweet - I've always worked, and we assume identities according to our work here in the U.S. But I left to be with my husband, which is more important than a job.

Would I feel this way if I hadn't been divorced earlier? Would I feel this way if I made the larger paycheck?

I don't know. Right now, I feel as if I have abandoned my feminist roots - but feminism is about making an independent choice, which is what I'm doing. That doesn't make it any easier.

This blog is about examining choices - about parenthood, careers, feminism, and marriage. About the difficult challenges facing women today, and about the difficult judgment facing every one of those choices.

Join me in the discussion.

5 comments:

  1. It would seem to me that the point of feminism is having the ability or freedom to make any choice you want. You have "chosen" to stay at home just as you could choose to return to work, school, etc. I think is the perfect expression of feminism. (of course, man view here)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we look at it from the perspective of symbols, relationships and institutions.... I say kudos for choosing the relationship over the institution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a female feminist, I have to say if you were unhappy with your job and staying home and taking care of family priorities makes you happy and it's what you want to do, that is a feminist choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you on your topic Jen. As a stay-at-home Dad, I understand how others feel that all of us have a conflict with identity simply because we have chosen family over work. It's not the opinion of others that makes our identity. We choose our identity......period. Although I am looking for work now, because I am secure in my identity, I can be selective.......only a Queens job for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find your strength conveyed in your words very inspiring. You're right - we are defined by our work here in the U.S., yet I find that so many people with whom I speak will say, "I am not my career." It's society that wants to stereotype us by how we make our living or pursue our livelihood, even if that isn't our own identity, and I think we are challenged to both live up to people's expectations of who they think we are or should be and who we really are and what we want to be. I think you are embarking on a very exciting journey of creating a new identity of empowerment and appreciate your voice!

    ReplyDelete